Many have undergone changes over time, but there are still corners of the city that preserve that atmosphere of the Middle Ages that has made them a fundamental part of the historic center of Madrid. Therefore, we tell you what are the oldest buildings you can visit.
House of the Lujanes
Located in the district of the Austrias, it is one of the oldest houses that are preserved in Madrid and in it lived for several centuries different generations of the Luján lineage. It is one of the few houses of the fifteenth century that remain preserved. It is said that King Francisco I of France was imprisoned in one of the towers of the house after being captured in the battle of Pavia in 1525.
After several reforms, in 1858, the Academy of Moral and Political Sciences was installed that we can currently find.
It was built in 1537 by the nephew of the famous Cardinal Cisneros, Benito Jiménez de Cisneros.
The most remarkable feature of the primitive building is the facade that overlooks Sacramento Street, and which is formed by an arch of granite masonry, on which the main balcony was flanked by two beautiful columns. At that time, the facade that overlooked the Plaza de la Villa was the back of the building, and gave access to the stables and corrals.
Over time, this house has housed important people in the history of Spain; It is said that the secretary of Felipe II, Antonio Pérez, was imprisoned here and escaped to France in 1590. In addition, here the count of Romanones was born, and he had the illustrious residents of General Narváez and Polavieja.
In 1909, the building was purchased by the city council to integrate it into the premises of the House of the Villa, being the object of a deep restoration carried out by the architect Luis Bellido y González.
In the restoration a facade was built that overlooks the Plaza de la Villa (near the Puerta del Sol) and a passageway that connects with the building that housed the town hall.
House of the Seven Fireplaces
The House of Seven Chimneys is in the Chueca neighborhood. It is recognized by its significant seven cylindrical chimneys arranged in line, the same color as the red brick that the facade. However, it has undergone several reforms over the centuries.
In 1574, Pedro de Ledesma requested a license to build houses according to the architect Antonio Sillero. Shortly after, in 1583, the Genoese merchant Baltasar Cattaneo buys the house, who sends it to the architect Andrea de Lurano in 1586.
It began to be known as “the houses of Cataño”. It was very similar to the current aspect of the building, with two floors and a four-sided roof in which the seven chimneys stand out, which will give it the name we know today.
The House of Seven Fireplaces not only has a long history of reforms, but also has an old legend known since the 16th century and that talks about a crime and a ghost.
The Bakery House is the most remarkable building in the Plaza Mayor of Madrid.
After the fire that suffered on August 20, 1672, only the basement and ground floor remained of the Bakery House. This fact conditioned the distribution of the new building.
A contest for the reconstruction of the building was carried out and extended to Calle Mayor. However, it is unknown who was the author of the project. Currently, the first plans of the house that had been made by Cipriano Gómez, in 1888, are preserved.
The most characteristic feature of the Bakery House is its pictorial decoration of the façade, made by Carlos Franco in 1992. Inside, the rooms that historically formed the Royal Hall stand out, on the first or noble floor, which was originally intended for the Fourth Royal, for exclusive use of the crown.